The Nigerian Army has claimed responsibility for the bombing of Tudun Biri in Igabi Local Government Area of Kaduna State, killing no less than 30 villagers on Sunday.
The army’s admittance was disclosed by the Kaduna State Government on Monday.
Recall that news broke that scores of villagers in Tudun Biri in Igabi LGA of Kaduna State were killed after a bomb was reportedly dropped by a military jet during a Maulud celebration.
The bombing which took place around 9 pm on Sunday left at least 30 residents dead.
The Nigerian Air Force had earlier denied responsibility for the attack.
A statement by its Spokesman, Commodore Edward Gabkwet said NAF has not carried out any operations in Kaduna in the last 24 hours.
The Overseeing Commissioner of Internal Security and Home Affairs, Samuel Aruwan, however, said the General Officer Commanding 1 Division Nigerian Army and Force Commander Operation Whirl Punch, Maj Gen VU Okoro, admitted that the Nigerian Army was on a routine mission against terrorists when the incident happened.
Aruwan’s speech was contained in a statement to newsmen after he met with the Deputy Governor of the state, Dr. Hadiza Balarabe during a meeting with Islamic clerics, traditional rulers, and heads of security agencies, where “the Nigerian Army explained the circumstances that led to the unfortunate and unintended attack.”
The meeting was held at the Sir Kashim Ibrahim Government House, Kaduna on Monday.
The statement read, “The General Officer Commanding 1 Division Nigerian Army, Major VU Okoro, explained that the Nigerian Army was on a routine mission against terrorists but inadvertently affected members of the community.”
According to the statement, search-and-rescue efforts were still ongoing as dozens of injured victims had been evacuated to the Barau Dikko Teaching Hospital by the state government.
The deputy governor, the statement noted, has condoled with the victims’ families while praying for the repose of the victims’ souls
The statement added, “The Kaduna State Government has received briefings on Sunday night’s attack which left several citizens dead and others injured.
“In a meeting presided over by the Deputy Governor, Dr Hadiza Balarabe, which had in attendance heads of security agencies, religious and traditional leaders, the Nigerian Army explained the circumstances which led to the unfortunate and unintended attack.
“The General Officer Commanding 1 Division Nigerian Army, Major VU Okoro, explained that the Nigerian Army was on a routine mission against terrorists but inadvertently affected members of the community.
“The deputy governor, at the end of the closed-door meeting, conveyed the condolences of the government and people of Kaduna State to the families that lost their loved ones and prayed for the repose of the victims’ souls.
“As of the time of this update, search-and-rescue efforts are still ongoing, as dozens of injured victims have been evacuated to Barau Dikko Teaching Hospital by the Government.”
Dignitaries that attended the meeting included heads of security agencies – the state Commissioner of Police, MY Garba; Director of the Department of State Services, Abdul Eneche; the Chairman of the Kaduna State Chapter of Jam’atu Nasril Islam, Prof. Shafi’u Abdullahi, who led other religious leaders as well as the District Head of Rigasa, Alhaji Aminu Idris, in whose domain the incident occurred.