The Defence Headquarters on Monday, reacted to the reported attack on the convoy of Kogi Governor, Yahaya Bello on Sunday.
It denied the claim that its personnel attacked the governor’s convoy.
The Kogi government through its Commissioner for Information, Kingsley Fanwo had claimed that there was an assassination attempt on Bello’s life a few kilometers away from Abuja on his way to an official engagement from Lokoja, the state capital.
Fanwo claimed that the assailants who were dressed in military uniforms waylaid the governor’s convoy and started shooting sporadically at his vehicle and other vehicles in the convoy.
However, the claim had been misconstrued in some quarters and claimed that some yet-to-be-identified soldiers attacked Bello.
But, in dispelling the claims, the Spokesman of Defence Headquarters, Brig. Gen. Tukur Gusau, in an interview said Bello’s attackers were criminals clad in fake military uniforms.
Gusau urged the police to investigate the matter and ensure that the culprits were brought to book.
He said, “The attack is unfortunate and we are not happy with what happened. However, the governor did not say it was the military that attacked him. Military personnel will never attack the governor. He said his attackers were in military uniforms. His attackers are criminals. We urged the police to investigate the matter and unravel the circumstances and those involved in the attack.”